Feb 9, 2010

Cricut and Glass Etching

Lately,  I have been trying to see what sort of cool things I could do on my own rather than pay alot for it.  So my my birthday last year I asked for a Cricut machine, (click here) from Eric. I haven't been able to play with it to much but have had time to research cool projects to do.  

The first thing I am attempting is Glass-Etching.  When I first read about it I thought that I wouldn't be able to do it because it was difficult and time consuming. Boy was I wrong.  I researched on many different blogs about making your own stencils and using etching cream to create glass etching. 



So on Saturday after a long day at a swim meet, I decided to try my hand at some glass etching.  OMG..... It was so easy and I love the way the items came out.  Of course on the first try I had some not so clean outer edges but with practice I will get better. Below are pictures of some of the items that I used a Cricut stencil on to create the glass etching.

I still have 2 more mirrors and a glass vase to decorate.  I got all my glass items at the ever wonderful IKEA.  




4 comments:

  1. Hello Andrea,
    My name is Rosa and I am new to the world of scrapbooking. I had received a cricut for Christmas and I am trying to be more "fluent" in cricut! During my quest for information on this machine I have come across so much information that it can be mind numbing. How ever I did come across the MTC and I think that it is for me. As I was going through the MTC forum, I came across your wine glasses that you had made. They are beautiful. My sister is getting married in a few months and she had asked me to etch her toasting glasses. I was just wondering how you did your stencils. I have tried to make some but they always turn out horrible. I believe part of the problem is that the Plantin font is totally wrong (one reason why I think that MTC is for me--no extra cartridges floating around!) I have tried to cut the stencils out of contact paper and not vinyl. Getting the letters to cut out correctly was such a headache. So I gave up. I am ready to try again. I am not going to let contact paper get the best of me! I am wondering if you can post the methods that worked for you.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosa,

    I am also fairly new to using MTC and cricut. I made my stencils out of contact paper. Once I weeded out the contact paper I didn't need, I used clear contact paper to place the stencil on the glass.

    Within the next week, I will try to post how I did it with pictures.

    - Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andrea,
    I finally did it. I found a cutting guide that told me how deep the blade should be as well as the pressure and the speed that the machine should cut. The cut i used is called a "kiss cut". I worked perfectly! I carefully placed the contact paper on the the champagne glasses. I made sure that all edges made good contact with the clean glass. I left the etching product as per directions. I was so nervous when I was taking the contact off. But boy was I so proud of myself. My sister absolutely LOVED them. She loved them so much that sh wants me to so the groomsman mug too!I thank you for your directions as well as the pictures that you posted. If I had not seen them I would not have had the nerve to try again. I did see that you had made gift boxes for some of your glasses. Were they hard to do? I haven't worked on creating any type of boxes. I would like to do the same. I hope you don't mind if I use you idea but it is a great one! Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I am so glad that your having fun and learning new skills!

    ReplyDelete